Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Should've Been A Rock Star















It's weird.


I've always been a really technical person, I work well with logic and reasoning, and am "left-brain" oriented (although anybody with experience in psychology can tell you that the whole left-brain right-brain thing is a bunch of junk.)

I'm such a technical person that I've geared my future in that direction. I'm lined up to become one of a group of some of the most technical people on Earth: Mechanical / Aerospace Engineers. It's a high-paying, highly sought-after field of work, but Christ is it work. Lots of work, math, science, and other tedious little detailed classes. So get like the user manual on a Trident Missile and read it from front to back, that's the kind of light reading I'll end up doing. Before, I was totally cool with that, because I knew that this is what will be best for me.

But, of course, right at the time when I am supposed to decide which one of 8,000 majors I'm going to work towards, I start to change. Lately, I've been doing a ton of photography, most of which, if I do say so myself, isn't half bad. I've been teaching myself drums and guitar, and can suddenly write lyrics that make sense and sound alright. And writing, good grief. I've been writing collections of notes, philosophical cross-examinations of things, and some creative stuff. I used to HATE writing, for 17 years, until just now. It's completely bizarre. It's like a gust of wind blew through my head and dusted off the "right brain" that I didn't know was there.

So here I stand, at a huge fork in the road, and suddenly both directions look like they could have some hope. For now, I think I'll stick with M.A.E. and follow what I've been working up to. What do you think, should I be an Engineer or a Rock N' Roll star? Should I build jet engines or play the guitar?



Current Mood: Inquisitive
Listening To: "Should've Been A Rock n' Roll Star" by Tom Petty

No comments: