Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2008

One Week


College.

Some of you have already left, some of you have a few weeks of Summer to go (you lucky bastards.) As for me, I have one week left in the fast-dying days of youth-hood in Pleasanton. And as the final hours wither into dust, I'm realizing that I've never had such a bizarre cocktail of emotions.

I've never been so ready to leave, but I've never been so reluctant to do so. I've never wanted so badly to meet new people, but I've never been so hesitant to leave old friends forever. I want to be somebody amazing, and I want to be myself. Maybe they're the same thing.

When two sides of yourself face off and contradict, you are in limbo, walking the thin wire between the towers of your former and future self, at risk of falling and losing your identity. It seems odd because my College career is set in stone and I'm all packed, but I still feel like I don't know where I'm going.

It's like filling your bags with your memories and going to the airport...buying a ticket to nowhere, to anywhere...you'll figure it out when you get there. How long will you stay? Who knows. Who will you meet? You will see. Where will you go from there? Who will you go with? Only time can answer these questions. But they will never be answered until you get there, because time is always a step ahead of you.

I don't care how organized you are, or how detailed your plans are for the next two years, or four, or ten...there is always the fog of uncertainty that keeps you from knowing exactly how the game plays out.

I'm going to spend this last week seeing and talking to as many people I care about that I can before I leave. I will only be 30 miles away from here, but we will go in different directions to different places, and our lives will be different. Some of us will be at Community Colleges, some at 4-year Universities, some directly into the workforce. The truly honorable will be fighting for our country.

For the past 13 years many of us have gone to the same schools with the same teachers and the same rooms. We've walked the same halls, been to the same football games, the same lockdowns. Now, for the first time, we will no longer start in sync. The gun has yet to be fired, but some of us have already left the blocks, and some will wait longer. But we are running the same race, against time. We are no longer in the same place but in relation to the scale of this universe, we are still right next to each other. Same stars, same sky.

So now, I bid you auf wiedersehen, until I see you again. But remember that we aren't really as far apart as you think. Call me if you ever want to talk about anything. I always have been, and will be, someone that anybody can trust.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. I wish you all good luck in this new beginning. This is the next chapter in your unfinished book. Don't spill the ink-- have fun but don't be stupid. I don't want invitations to anything but weddings and birthdays until I'm at least 40. No funerals! That goes for all of you Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines, too, dammit.

Most importantly, enjoy life.



I've got adrenaline in my veins, spikes on my feet. Down in the blocks, looking at the ground. Finger on the trigger. SET..........


...and here...we...go..............






peace & love forever,

K2







Current Mood: Weird
Listening To: "Call to Arms" by Angels & Airwaves

No comments: