Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

No Change

I was walking across the street to get to Diridon Station in downtown San Jose. A black guy approached me when I got to the corner and said something that I couldn't quite make out. Now, on the way to the station I had already been approached by three homeless men (two of whom were black and yes, this is relevant) who had asked if I had any spare change on me. I didn't, nor did I have any cash. Continuing--I assumed that this fourth guy was also requesting change, given that we were in a somewhat seedy area and he appeared to be waiting on the corner for an opportunity to ask someone. I said, "Sorry man but I don't have any change on me--I'd give you some if I..." and then he cut me off. "No no no!" he quickly said, "I'm not asking for change dude, I come in peace. I thought you were my friend Scott, you look just like him." I found this hard to believe at first because I was wearing bright red pants and a neon T-shirt, not your average combination. It occurred to me at that moment though that he was wearing a nice polo shirt, more expensive than the one I had on, and the hobo-looking backpack he had slung over his shoulder was a "distressed" pattern with the Oakley logo on it. I apologized profusely for assuming he wanted change and talked to him for a few minutes before bidding him good day and finishing my walk to the train station.

I realized as soon as I walked away that I had probably assumed he wanted change because he looked similar to others who have approached me for the same reason--specifically because he was black. I did not consciously think "this guy is black, he must want money," because that would be what society refers to as "racist." Bur unconscious racism is not better--that is something that social evolution has produced. This is what society has done. Exclusivity is the enemy--BET, the not-so-suble white, blonde-haired blue-eyed Fox news crew--exclusivity on either side is anti-progressive. It establishes clear separations, unconsciously as well as overtly. It is disgusting.

In death there is no race. There is no separation of ethnicity, nor sexuality, nor religious ideas, nor even separation of genus and species. Why do we force such constraints and separations upon ourselves in life?



Current Mood: Embarrassed
Listening To: N/A

No comments: